I visualized it, I tasted it and then I made it! I’m weird like that when it comes to food! If you love a good Mojito, then I believe you’ll love this salad. It’s fresh, crisp, tangy and oh so pretty!
Brendan and I went to the Century City Natural Goods Market this morning and enjoyed a lovely lunch there. So, with lunch being at the market there wasn’t any left overs for dinner so I decided to make this beautiful summer salad. If I can have salads every day I’ll be happy.
I have to let you know how happy I am with this watermelon though. I gave it a good few knocks (does anyone else do this?) and loved that light sound I received. That resulted in me buying a beautiful red and sweet fruit. I have my mom to thank for the knocking-tip! I sliced the watermelon into rounds and then cut each round into 8 pizza-slices, hence the term pizza-sliced in the recipe.
The sweetness of the watermelon is beautifully complemented by the tangy-ness of the lemon-mint-honey-Greek-yogurt dressing. If you plan to make this for a party, you can make the dressing ahead of time or the night before and refrigerate it in a glass jar until you are ready to serve your salad. Did I mention that this dressing is REALLY AMAZING?! It’s raw, real and SO good for you!
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- grated rind of half a lemon
- 8g fresh mint
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 600g watermelon, pizza-sliced*, rind removed.
- 200g cucumber, striped-peeled, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- a few leaves of fresh mint
- Prepare the dressing by placing the lemon juice, lemon rind and fresh mint in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the mint is finely chopped. You may need to stop once or twice in between to push the leaves down with a wooden spoon.
- Add the yogurt and the honey and pulse again until well incorporated.
- Remove the blade of the food processor and refrigerate the dressing.
- In the meantime, arrange the watermelon and cucumber slices on a fancy platter.
- Add a few mint leaves in between.
- Just before you plan to serve the salad, remove the dressing from the refrigerator and pour it over the salad.
- Enjoy immediately.