SUNDAY LUNCH WAS YUM! Sweet potatoes and free range sausage fried in paprika butter, with added spinach and then topped with the creamiest cheese sauce and baked till perfection. Aaaaah! Hubby had two big helpings. And that ladies and gentlemen, is all I need to know that lunch was a winner.
Last night I sang at a Carols Service in Cape Town so lunch was not really at the top of my list of priorities as I wanted to be well prepared for our programme. Between you and me, lunch was really my husband’s baby but he opted for the dishes so I jumped in and made this quick dish.
I browned my cubed sweet potatoes in some paprika butter until all the paprika covered them and then I added the sausage pieces. You can really use any sausage as long as you cut it up. I used a pair of kitchen scissors to cut the sausage as it keeps the meat in the casing; slicing it with a knife would push the meat out of the casing. The pan then gets covered to simmer until soft while you prepare the cheese sauce.
At this moment, the oven can be preheated to 180C. In another non-stick pan the butter gets added. Mix the tapioca flour with the milk and it to the butter pan. If you don’t mind the gluten, feel free to use normal flour if you don’t have tapioca. Stir the sauce with a wooden spoon until it thickens and then add the cheese. I used a combination of cheddar and mozzarella but if you prefer only one cheese, use cheddar. Cayenne pepper and a strong flavoured cheese like mature cheddar is a match made in heaven; it compliments this cheese sauce wonderfully. Add the sea salt and cayenne pepper to taste.
By now the sausage and the sweet potatoes should be ready for a touch of green. Add the chopped spinach and allow it to wilt (a minute or 2) and then once wilted add all the ingredients to a square casserole dish (I used a big spoon to dish it out so that I don’t get the leftover juices in the casserole dish as well) and pour the bubbling cheese sauce over. Some of the sweet potatoes might still be a bit hard, but it will soften in the oven under the creamy cheese sauce. Bake for at least 20 minutes until golden brown on top.
I am super excited about some deliciously healthy dessert recipes I’m testing for our Christmas lunch table so stay connected for more of that 🙂
- 2tbsp butter
- 1tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 470g sausage, cut into bite sizes (I used free range beef)
- 150g spinach, clean, trimmed and roughly chopped
- *CHEESE SAUCE*
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1-2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Add the 2 tablespoons of butter and the oil to a large frying pan and allow to melt.
- Add the paprika and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Add the sweet potatoes and fry on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the sausage and fry for 5 minutes and then cover it and allow to simmer until soft.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- In the meantime, prepare the cheese sauce in another non-stick pan.
- Add the butter to the pan and allow to melt on medium heat.
- Mix the tapioca flour into the cold milk and add it to the pan. Stir the milk mixture until it thickens (about 3 minutes).
- Add the grated cheese to the thickened sauce, as well as the salt and cayenne pepper.
- Stir until all the cheese has melted and the sauce is thick and creamy.
- Add the spinach to the sausage pan and allow it to wilt.
- Once wilted, use a spoon to dish out all the ingredients of this pan and add it to a square casserole dish. *
- Pour the bubbling cheese sauce over and bake in the oven for 20minutes until golden brown.